In modern web marketing, your website is the most powerful tool at your disposal and SEO is the most effective way to improve online presence and drive traffic to the website, and at the heart of successful SEO campaigns lies on-page SEO.
On-page search engine optimization is the practice of optimizing the web pages to drive organic traffic and improve website ranking in search engine result pages (SERP). It focuses on optimizing the website’s controllable features like page’s HTML, CSS, Java, internal links, metadata along with posting high-quality, relevant content and images.
Why On-page SEO plays such an important part in modern web marketing.
On-page SEO is the fundamental part of the success that helps the search engine to understand the website and its content along with identifying its relevance with respect to user search queries.
Google with its plethora of algorithms is now much better at
- Understanding what its users are searching when they type a query
- Delivering search results that meet the user intent
On-page SEO makes it easy to adapt this development as it ensures that your website content ( text, image, video) and content that is visible to search engines ( Html tags, structured data) are optimized according to the latest practices.
If website on-page SEO is not in place, the website won’t even begin to rank higher for target keywords. Thus the whole visibility and ranking of websites (basis of online marketing) in search results depend on ON-page SEO.
On-page SEO strategies that you use to improve the ranking
There are numerous factors that search engines take into consideration while ranking your site. Optimizing these are key to the success of a site. Pay close attention to these areas which will help you to improve your content – and increase your rankings, traffic, and conversions.
Metatag lies in the Html code of each page and includes page title tag and meta description which provide search engines more information about your page. These are the first things that the audience sees when they find your page and determine if the user wants to click on a website or skip them.
Title tag- title tags are included inside the head section/tag of each web page that provides clues of the subject matter on the web page.
- The title tag should be user friendly and keyword loaded
- The title tag should fit in the character limit (under 60 characters) so that it displays correctly
- It should be precise and relevant to the content on the web page.
- Include keywords so that the audience can understand the context of the page.
- Place the keyword towards the front of the title tag to let your audience know about the subject of the age.
Meta description- It is the description below the title tag that lets you describe what the page is about.
- Write a compelling description within 150-160 characters to make the reader click on the website.
- Add keywords
Meta keyword attributes- A series of keywords that you deem relevant to the page in question.
Meta robots attribute- It is an indication to the search engine crawler as to what they should do with the page.
Header tags are used to separate headings and subheadings on the web page and improve the readability of the web page. They rank from H1 to H6 in the order of importance where H1 generally represents the title of a web page. Writing titles for blogs and articles might sound basic but it can mean a difference between click and impression.
- Headings should be compelling so that readers continue to read the rest of the content.
- Add the keyword to the heading.
The core reason for which a user visits your page is that they believe that you have the information they need. If a user searches for “ how to repair a phone” they expect to end up on a page that provides them with that information and not on the page that lists the phone brands. Google knows this so it analyzes the content to ensure it fits the user search. Quality writing with proper keyword placement ensures the same.
- Content should be written with the user in mind
- Incorporate keywords that match the content of the page.
- The content should be of reasonable length. Longer articles rank higher in search results.
- The content should be unique and provide value to its visitor.
URLs are vital on-page SEO.
- Ensure that the URL contains the target keyword of the page as when you are trying to rank for a particular keyword, Google will look for the same in your URL too.
- Keep URLs simple, clean, and short so that they are easy to crawl and understand.
- Don’t include a heap of numbers, punctuations, and special characters in the URL as it makes them look confusing.
SEO operates on the keywords and if you want to rank higher in the right results, you should focus on selecting the right keywords for the website.
- Choose keywords that are easy to use, incorporate in the text, searchable and align with the subject of the page.
- Long-tail keywords include three to four words hence are preferable options over short-tail keywords that include one or two words and present a lot of challenges.
- Select keywords with a high search volume to drive more traffic.
Internal linking and site structure
Website structure is essential for a search engine to be able to properly crawl your site.
- Ensure to make a responsive web design that can be incorporated on all devices: mobile, tabs, computers.
- Have easy-to-use navigation bars, footers, and anchor links so that search engines don’t struggle to identify your site’s pages and can easily link a user to a page relevant to their query.
- Improve web design to help users better experience the main content of each page.
- Include internal links on each page to other pages of your site to keep your visitors on your website longer. This will help to lower the bounce rate and boost your conversion rate.
Visual elements on the web page help to keep the leads engaged. Various types of visual elements like photos, videos, diagrams, and infographics help to catch audience interest and give them relief from all text pages. To optimize your image
- Include target keyword in the file name to compliment page and rest of keyword integration
- Incorporate target keywords in the alt text of the image to rank your site higher. Alt-text is displayed when you hover your mouse cursor over a picture
- Optimize the image file size to avoid slow loading pages.
- Consider hosting your long videos on a third-party site as they can bog down the load time.
Page speed information
Page speed is an important ranking factor that helps your site greatly. Users generally leave the slow-loading pages and choose another page that loads quicker.
- Fix your site to run better through browser caching, cleaning up HTML and CSS coding.
Schema markup is a code that is inserted into your website to make it easier for the search engine to interpret the information included in your on-page content. It helps to improve the visibility of content.
AMP (accelerated mobile pages) also form a part of the on-site SEO strategy. It is an open-source coding structure that is designed to make websites open more quickly on mobile devices while using less data. Optimizing the speed that your website can load onto mobile impacts the SEO as customers will get a positive impression which leads to more engagement and clicks.
Minification is the process of minimizing code, removing unnecessary data (white space, unused code), shortening variable and function names in web pages and script files. This method is used to reduce the load time and bandwidth usage on the website. Minification contributes to a better user experience as it improves the site’s speed and accessibility.
GZIP compression is the compression of files to make them smaller in size which allows for fast network transfer. Through GZIP compression your web pages load faster for website users. It reduces the file size up to 90% so that it can load faster using less data.
Open graph tag
Open graph meta tags are the snippets of code that control how URLs are displayed when shared on social media. The optimized OG tags help to drive more traffic to the website as they make content more eye-catching in social media feeds and tell people about the content is about at a glance. It also helps the search engines understand what the content is about, which can help increase your brand visibility through search.
- Add it to all “shareable” pages. and focus on accuracy and clickability.
- Keep it short to prevent overflow.
- Use the raw title and Don’t include branding (e.g., your site name).
There are pages on the website that serve a purpose but the purpose is neither ranking in search engines nor driving the traffic to the site. Noindex tags help to deal with these pages. Noindex means that the web page shouldn’t be indexed by the search engine and therefore shouldn’t be shown on the result page. It thus helps to archive the non-relevant pages.
Secure socket layer certificates are the security measure for websites. These are the small data files that are installed on a web server, activating a padlock that allows a secure connection from a web server to a browser. SSL certificates show visitors that your website is verified and safe from hackers. It also helps to improve the SEO ranking.
Analytics is a method of collecting your own data to acquire traffic on the website. It helps to increase the organic traffic on the website through analysis. It helps to detect the systematic flow and enables data based on audience behavior, interest, and search patterns.
Google search console
Google search console is a free Google service that helps to monitor and troubleshoot the website’s appearance in the search result.
Page size information
- It helps to increase the load speed of the web page.
- It improves the mobile responsiveness of the site.
- It helps to manage the web-hosting cost.
For optimizing the page size
- Optimize images
- Avoid unnecessary custom fonts
- Minify resources
Java script error
Inline CSS is a process of integrating a portion of the code directly into the place where it will be used. This makes the code run faster resulting in the rapid loading of pages.
The alt tag is also known as” alt attribute” and “alt description” is an HTML attribute that specifies the alternate text of an image if the image cannot be displayed because of slow connection, error in the src attribute, or if a user is using a screen reader. Applying alt tags to product images can boost the search engine rankings of e-commerce stores.
The images on web pages are not crawled by the google crawlers but alt tags as provide text to solve the problem and contributes to indexing and ranking of the page
The guideline for the image alt attribute
- The text should describe the image in a short and specific manner.
- The text should explain where the link goes if the image is inside <a> element
Use alt=” “ when the image is for decoration.
A canonical tag notifies the search engine that the specific URL represents the master copy of a page. The use of canonical tags prevents issues caused by duplicate content on multiple URLs. It informs the search engine about the URL version you want to appear in the search result.
Several practices on the page influence your website ranking on google and it can be hard to manage all. That’s when on-page SEO services from Cybrain Software Solutions come in handy. With deep expertise in on-page SEO strategies, we ensure business websites are ready to rank higher in search engines.
We look forward to helping your business grow. Contact us today and get your website found by people and search engines and improve your digital presence across the board with a comprehensive plan of action tailored to your needs.